Friday, February 7, 2014

Practice Story Reflection

Our most recent project in my GT class, is our practice interviews. We made these videos in order to practice for our newest project "Elder Words of Wisdom". The purpose of our project is to interview elders in our community, and ask them to share words of wisdom with us, the youth. So in order for us to make the best interview we could possibly create, we needed practice.

We already got into groups of three for our final interview so we stayed in the same groups for our practice ones. Then we were supposed to select a topic to interview a member of our group about. My teams topic was "Mikela's college plans". My teammates were interviewing me about my plans for college, because I have most of my plans mapped out. They asked me questions about my plans, like which college I would like to go to etc. While I was sitting in the famous interview position, a rule of thirds composition while the interviewee is looking at the interviewer, who is strategically placed out of the camera shot, but also close enough to the camera so the interviewee is looking near the camera.

Our interview went smoothly, but then a wild B-roll requirement came, and it was time to shoot that B-roll. We shot clips of me reading, or practicing my writing, or researching the college I would like to go to on the the computer. That may have finished, but there was still plenty of work to do; we also needed to finish writing our transcripts and record our narrators voice. The next day however was the deadline, AND WE STILL NEEDED TO EDIT! Fortunately for us, we finished editing, and exported our videos a minute before the deadline. Our team was one of the few to make it in on time.

However something else was still on my plate... The class critique. My class had to review each team's video, and naturally I was feeling a bit insecure about the video, especially because I was the one getting interviewed! Another thing that worried me was the new grading scale, it looked like the normal one, but something was off about it. Maybe it was the fact that 3s would be rare, and a three on regular rubrics was a B! I didn't want to get 1s and 2s because I try to get A's and I have never gotten a C or D in my life, and I certainly haven't gotten an F. But in this new rubric 1s and 2s aren't bad. So I didn't panic as much when my team got mostly 2s on our audio and visuals; BUT WE GOT A 3 ON OUR STORY!!!! SUCCESS! The best part was our final grade, we got a 4/4!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mikela! I don't know you but I read some of your posts and I really like them.

    ReplyDelete